Saturday, July 5, 2014

Yellow Means WHAT?!

The other day I decided to teach my daughter what the different colors meant at a stop light. She already knew red and green. "Falyn, what does red mean?" I said. "Red means stop!" She replied. "Good! What does green mean?" "Go!" "Great job, Falyn! Do you know what yellow means?" "Uhhh.... no." "It means GO FASTER!" "Ohhhh, GO FASTER!" Of course that isn't the truth and I was just kidding around with her but I couldn't help but laugh and ask her to tell me what yellow meant. Her reply? "GO FASTER!" At this point Kali is already irritated at me, she looks back to Falyn and says, "No, Falyn don't listen to daddy he is being silly. Yellow means SLOW DOWN!" "Oh, slow down?" "Yes!" Kali kept telling her for a good ten minutes or so in the car ride that yellow meant slow down. Falyn would even start to answer correctly, but do you know what her answer is today..... "GO FASTER!"

The problem is that she believes the first thing that she was taught to be true and to be suspicious of all other points of view and teachings. How many of us were/are like that? I was raised Baptist and was 100% sure that we were right and every other opinion was wrong.

I just believed what I was taught first! I never looked into my beliefs myself because I was certain it was truth! Don't be comfortable in your faith if you have never examined what you really believe. What are the odds that you just happened to be born into a family, that just happened to believe the right things about God, that just happened to be in this region of the world? 

So my challenge to you is to not believe what you believe just because that is what you were raised to believe!

I believed in a vindictive God who had no power and/or no desire to save all of mankind. I believed in many contradictions to logic and Scripture. (Never-ending Torment, Trinity, Immortality of the Soul, Free-Will, etc.)

So in the words of Ice-Cube and Zach Galifianakis, "You better check yo self, before you wreck yo self."  Movie Clip!

2 comments:

  1. I was born with "Why" in my mouth. Granted I drove countless people over the cliff with all the questions. Guess that's why I never fit into any religious system. They didn't have the answers ! God has taken me on quite a journey, but now that I know the truth I couldn't be happier. BTW Chris, enjoy playing with your little girl's head. We did and 32 years later she has a sense of humor that's out of this world.

    ReplyDelete