Saturday, July 19, 2014

Why Pray?

So I am going to be completely honest with you guys, like I always am. I want to be an open book for you guys so you know that I really believe what I write and record.

What I want to confess today is that, ever since coming to the knowledge that God is in control of everything and that free will is not only false but easily disproved using simple logic, I had stopped praying. Almost completely. Just up and quit. I figured, what's the point? Everything is going to happen exactly the way God wants it to anyway, so why bother.

However, last night and right now I felt the urge to pray. This time though, I wasn't asking God for anything. No, I was just talking to God. Just telling God that I was grateful for Him and all He has done. I was thanking God for bringing me to the knowledge of the truth. Thanking God for my children, for my wife, for people like David Improved in other countries hearing this message and being moved to encourage others, thanking God for people like Dan Sheridan, who even though he was betrayed by those that were supposedly friends he continues to teach the truth. For people like Martin Zender who thanks to his Crack O' Dawn reports, started me on my path to the truth. People like Waylan Dabbs who made it possible for Kali and me to attend our first Scripture conference in Alabama. Thankful for Aaron Locker and the Pilkingtons, who thanks to the Study Shelf website can reach others with teachings and testimonies. Thankful for James Flanders whose audios got me through the early stages of doubt about the happy ending that God has in store. Thankful for Rebecca Witherspoon who encourages Kali and me through Facebook. Thankful for Aaron Welch who talks to me almost daily so that I don't get starved of fellowship. Thankful for Heidi Colpo who encourages my sense of humor because I could easily lose it in the midst of all of this. 

Prayer was never made to change things. Prayer is here for us to show thanks to God and to put our minds at ease. If we are worried about something, we should pray about it. Once we have prayed about it we need to realize that it is in God's hands. In fact, it was always in God's hands but sometimes we just need to feel the burden lifted from us and placed on the One who can carry it. 

Thank you all for your encouragement and prayers. Praying doesn't change an event, but does change a person. It is one of the most amazing gifts God has given us and we should utilize it as often as possible!

4 comments:

  1. www.jamesflanders.com, www.martinzender.com, www.studyshelf.com, www.sheridanvoice.com,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through the same thing. I used to see prayer as a way of covering all bases just in case God wasn't aware. Ridiculous. It always felt like a chore. Now I look forward to being alone with Him and sharing how I'm feeling, especially my thankfulness. I have not once asked for forgiveness. Instead I thank Him for having forgiven me. I find myself asking for more truth and more understanding. It's such a calming time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that I wouldn't start praying for what I wanted to happen until I had asked for forgiveness for all of my sins thoroughly. I felt like God wouldn't hear me if I didn't beg for Him to forgive my every little mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know gods will shall be done but we have to go on as if we have free will/. we have to pray for god to strengthen us when we are tempted in our weak flesh. if god had his son scourged and paul live with a thorn in his flesh then imagine what he can do to us if we dont carry our cross daily

    ReplyDelete