Thursday, August 28, 2014

May I?

I am sure that everyone reading this is familiar with 1 Peter 5:8,"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour." I have heard this over and over in Sunday School. I was always told to put on the full armor of God so that when I would be tempted to sin, I could resist the devil and therefore maintain God's good graces. But that is not the point I want to make here. The thing I want to point out is the word may in this verse. When I was in school kids would ask,"Ms. Teacher, can I go to the restroom?" And the teacher's response would be something to the effect of,"I don't know, can you?" To which the student would respond, "May I use the restroom?" And the teacher would then allow the student to excuse themselves. This got me thinking. Satan in this passage is said to seek out whom he may devour. Which, to me, implies that he has to have someone's permission. Someone more powerful than himself. Someone who, oh I don't know, operates all things in accord with the council of HIS will? There isn't much to this blog other than a small thought. The thought that Satan can do nothing without God's permission. This thought should provide comfort. Because if God is the One that chooses what Satan can and cannot do, we don't have to worry. Satan is just a child, and soon enough he will be in timeout indefinitely.

1 comment:

  1. Man...this is what happend to Job...in first chapter..we see that Devil seeks God's permision...God is Supreme..and He Reigns over every thing...Good to hear frm u Christopher...

    ReplyDelete