Thursday, January 23, 2014

Isaiah 29

Isaiah 29:10 For Yahweh has poured out on you a spirit of deep sleep, and has closed your eyes, the prophets; and he has covered your heads, the seers. 11 All vision has become to you like the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one who is educated, saying, “Read this, please”; and he says, “I can’t, for it is sealed:” 12 and the book is delivered to one who is not educated, saying, “Read this, please”; and he says, “I can’t read.” 13 The Lord said, “Because this people draws near with their mouth and with their lips to honor me, but they have removed their heart far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment of men which has been taught; 14 therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, even a marvelous work and a wonder; and the wisdom of their wise men will perish, and the understanding of their prudent men will be hidden.”

A few things that I take out of these verses is that the religious leaders and theologians mentioned here have been blinded by God himself. I believe that is the case today. I believe that the "wisdom" of theologians today will perish.

The second thing I get out of this is found in verse 13: The Lord said, “Because this people draws near with their mouth and with their lips to honor me, but they have removed their heart far from me, and THEIR FEAR OF ME IS A COMMANDMENT OF MEN WHICH HAS BEEN TAUGHT;"

Christians today preach a "turn or burn" "gospel" when the true gospel is that Christ is the Savior of the world. Yes I believe that God will judge sin and I don't believe it will be a pleasant experience. However, I also believe all the scriptures that teach the salvation of all. From what I gather of this passage, God doesn't want us to be AFRAID of Him. Yes we should have a reverent fear of Him but the fear that is being taught by these people was meant to scare people into their beliefs. Sound familiar?

No comments:

Post a Comment